Search by Subject
- Putting Bananas in the Bank — Philippines or USA
- Philippine Cost of Living — Don’t Be Too Damn Cheap
- Low Cost Places to Live in the Philippines — Perhaps The Subic Bay Freeport Zone?
- Little Guys Are Important in the Philippines
- What Do We Need To Do To Move To The Philippines?
- US Military Retirees — Tricare Philippines Newsletter 13005
- Customer Service — Getting Your Way
- Customer Service Philippines Style
- Jobs For Americans in the Philippines
- Should You Move to the Philippines With Children?
- A Lot Depends Upon Whose Ox Is Being Gored
- You Don’t Have to Live in a Condo to Have an SRRV
- How Much Do You Really Need To Earn To Live in the Philippines?
- A Christmas Medical Odyssey
- About Time For Some More Citizenship Questions — Other Man’s Child Edition
- Seven Things You Should be Doing With That Cell Phone in Your Pocket
- Another “Philippine Pony” Idea — Whatever Floats Your Boat
- Just How Many Manila Airports Are There?
- Some Real-World Experiences — Earning a Living in the Philippines
- Travel the World (or live in the Philippines) Forever — With No Job
- Why I Am An Expert — And So Are You
- The Marines Are Looking For A Few Good Men, And You Ain’t It!
- Can’t Find Good Philippine Maps?
- Education For Your Children in the Philippines
- Can You Tell Me What Sort of Business I Should Start?
- But I Don’t Know Anything to Write About or Make a Business From — Cranky
- Live by What the Rule Book Doesn’t Say Instead of What It Does Say.
- Enough Income to Live in the Philippines? Do You Actually Know Enough?
- How Much Do Cars Cost in the Philippines —2013
- Living in the Philippines Can Be a Bit Taxing — Best States to be a Resident Of
- Living in the Philippines Can Be a Bit Taxing — Worst States to be a Resident Of
- Living in the Philippines Can Be a Bit Taxing — USA
- Make Money At Your Keyboard in the Philippines — No Website Required
- Can a Single Retiree Find Happiness in the Philippines
- Philippine Cost Of Living — Can I Live in the Philippines on $1300 a Month?
- Real-World Philippine Business Update
- Another Philippine Pony Idea — Kids Parties
- You Are Spending Too Much Time Worrying About Taxes!
- How Did I Get This Way? How Can You?
- There Is No Profit in Being a Skeptic
Latest Articles on PhilFAQS
A lot of people thinking about moving to the Philippines, actually moving to the Philippines, or those already living here have money on the mind. How much do I need, Will I have enough How can I make some more And so forth. Nothing wrong with that in my book. Someday there may be a [...]
Articles about how cheaply one can live in the Philippines are always popular here. Also, particularly if you are an older, retired guy like me. you’re whole news article, magazine and Internet reading world is likely to be saturated with “Save Money”, “Live Cheap”, “Economize Now” and an infinite number of other articles, all yammering [...]
Well first of all I have to apologize, especially to my colleague the “Subic Sage” who helped research and write much of this article. The information actually was provided quite a long tome ago, and I really have no excuse for taking as long as I have to get this up in print … but [...]
In a recent post here at PhilFAQS, where I try to answer everyone’s questions about Living in the Philippines, Customer Service — Getting Your Way , I used a headline I didn’t like very much, after I saw it in print. I said “Don’t Talk To Underlings”. My meaning (which I did explain) was to [...]
Popular and “Evergreen” Articles
By Atty. Rita Linda V. Jimeno The story of Rosanne in my column last week triggered numerous reactions from readers that merit discussion. As a jump-off point, we shall encapsulate Rosanne’s case. Her Filipino husband who used to be loving and conscious of his familial obligations, abandoned all his duties toward her and their children [...]
Is Your Child a Citizen? Hmm, strange title, Dave. A Citizen of what country? Ah, that’s the reason for this article. One might think that would be an easy answer, but I get many queries that show me that a lot of parents, of every different nationality, don’t really know just what the citizenship of [...]
OK. all I see is comments coming in here from people who “want jobs”. It seems no one has enough initiative to actually read the article, just splashing out their plea to anyone dumb enough to have a website. If you want to find a job in the Philippines, here’s one place to look: http://philfaqs.com/philippine-jobs-for-foreigners/ [...]
Foreigner Jobs. This is always one of my popular and searched for items … Jobs for Americans in the Philippines. Personally, if I had to have a J*O*B I’d rather have one in the US, but who am I to tell others what to do. Jobs for foreigners in the Philippines have traditionally been hard [...]
Philippine Marriage Questions Recently I received another comment with questions on this surprisingly common issue. Is there anyway a Filipino,who was legally married as recognized by the Philippines, be considered legally “un-married” by the Philippines and.or the US government. (As always, remember that these are my layman’s opinions, offered for information and discussion purposes. They [...]
Indeed, you heard right. This is the “saving grace” for many foreigner/Filipino couples who want to buy property together here in the Philippines and have an assurance that the “foreigner ‘ half of the couple can continue living in the couple’s property. Notice something important that I didn’t say above, though. I didn’t call it [...]
Where Are The Best Places to Live in the Philippines? I posted awhile back on this subject, What Are Your Best Places Philippines?, and also put up a dedicated best places in the Philippines map page with every suggestion I’ve received regarding the best places to like in the Philippines. So few suggestions, though. Why [...]
PhilFAQS Random Reads
Is this really about your move to the Philippines? You decide. Another short reading assignment today, gentle readers. And then a much more important thinking assignment. Reading is easy, at least if it interests you. Thinking? Sometimes not so much. Go see what my blogging colleague Seth wrote: The taskmaster premium (go ahead, it’s very short and to the point, I’ll wait for you.) If you didn’t take the time, here’s the important message in a couple … [Read More...]
Over my years online, and especially in the past 10 years or so since my focus has been about Philippine Retirement, Living in the Philippines and Earning a living in the Philippines, I have come across hundreds of articles and reports, eBooks and magazines all dedicated to the delights of living abroad in retirement. I've even written a few myself ... Is the Philippines Really a Potential Retirement Destination? So many seem to expound the merits and benefits of retirement overseas to a … [Read More...]
Today I’m cleaning my in box/draft posts folder. And yes I know curmudgeon is properly spelled with a “C” but I live in the Philippines and I can spell it anyway I want. You’ll find many ‘creative’ spellings of English words here, especially the ones that have been adopted into Pilipino or Filipino or Tagalog. I learned to read at an early age using a method my school was trying out … innovative at the time … called the Carden method. It seems a fantastic … [Read More...]
Every so often I have a tendency to mention my advertisers/sponsors here at PhilFAQS. I try not to make a habit of this, just as I try never to feature anything which is not potentilaly useful. No matter how seldom I do this, some won't like it ... they want averything free. Sorry. I point out things I think may be of use, even if the service costs something. We'll have to agree to disagree on this subject, then. One thing people ask me about all the time when thinking about trips … [Read More...]
Finding a Philippine Job
I’m very familiar with questions and comments here on PhilFAQS about starting a business in the Philippines. The majority of the questions come from foreigners wanting to start a business here. But I seldom get queries like the one I am going to share here, which involves “working from home” or ‘working remotely” out of [...]
Here’s a comment that came in earlier today. Rather than answer the reader directly in the “comments” section where only a few people are likely to read it, i felt the question is of broad enough interest that I’d put it our here in the main “Articles” section for all to read. Hi Philly, my [...]
Philippine Job Insanity. Are You Insane? I guess it falls under the general heading of that famous saying attributed to Albert Einstein … the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. I have tried to make it clear here on PhilFAQS, where I try to tell [...]
I’ve decided to write a few articles, more or less in order, to try to help those of you who come here, day after day, looking for that magically prize, “Jobs for Americans in the Philippines”. First of all, in the interest of fair and objective reporting, I need to warn you that “Jobs For [...]
How’s my grammar there, guys and gals? Not so good? Perhaps not, but nobody reading this has likely earned as much from those words than the fellow who got paid to say them … Gunnery Sergeant Tom Highway (Clint Eastwood) in the movie “Heartbreak Ridge”. Do you think anyone in Gunny Highway’s platoon of malcontents [...]