Search by Subject
- Philippine Cost of Living — Don’t Be Too Damn Cheap
- Low Cost Places to Live in the Philippines — Perhaps The Subic Bay Freeport Zone?
- Little Guys Are Important in the Philippines
- What Do We Need To Do To Move To The Philippines?
- US Military Retirees — Tricare Philippines Newsletter 13005
- Customer Service — Getting Your Way
- Customer Service Philippines Style
- Jobs For Americans in the Philippines
- Should You Move to the Philippines With Children?
- A Lot Depends Upon Whose Ox Is Being Gored
- You Don’t Have to Live in a Condo to Have an SRRV
- How Much Do You Really Need To Earn To Live in the Philippines?
- A Christmas Medical Odyssey
- About Time For Some More Citizenship Questions — Other Man’s Child Edition
- Seven Things You Should be Doing With That Cell Phone in Your Pocket
- Another “Philippine Pony” Idea — Whatever Floats Your Boat
- Just How Many Manila Airports Are There?
- Some Real-World Experiences — Earning a Living in the Philippines
- Travel the World (or live in the Philippines) Forever — With No Job
- Why I Am An Expert — And So Are You
- The Marines Are Looking For A Few Good Men, And You Ain’t It!
- Can’t Find Good Philippine Maps?
- Education For Your Children in the Philippines
- Can You Tell Me What Sort of Business I Should Start?
- But I Don’t Know Anything to Write About or Make a Business From — Cranky
- Live by What the Rule Book Doesn’t Say Instead of What It Does Say.
- Enough Income to Live in the Philippines? Do You Actually Know Enough?
- How Much Do Cars Cost in the Philippines —2013
- Living in the Philippines Can Be a Bit Taxing — Best States to be a Resident Of
- Living in the Philippines Can Be a Bit Taxing — Worst States to be a Resident Of
- Living in the Philippines Can Be a Bit Taxing — USA
- Make Money At Your Keyboard in the Philippines — No Website Required
- Can a Single Retiree Find Happiness in the Philippines
- Philippine Cost Of Living — Can I Live in the Philippines on $1300 a Month?
- Real-World Philippine Business Update
- Another Philippine Pony Idea — Kids Parties
- You Are Spending Too Much Time Worrying About Taxes!
- How Did I Get This Way? How Can You?
- There Is No Profit in Being a Skeptic
- 30 Days to Move to the Philippines
Latest Articles on PhilFAQS
Articles about how cheaply one can live in the Philippines are always popular here. Also, particularly if you are an older, retired guy like me. you’re whole news article, magazine and Internet reading world is likely to be saturated with “Save Money”, “Live Cheap”, “Economize Now” and an infinite number of other articles, all yammering [...]
Well first of all I have to apologize, especially to my colleague the “Subic Sage” who helped research and write much of this article. The information actually was provided quite a long tome ago, and I really have no excuse for taking as long as I have to get this up in print … but [...]
In a recent post here at PhilFAQS, where I try to answer everyone’s questions about Living in the Philippines, Customer Service — Getting Your Way , I used a headline I didn’t like very much, after I saw it in print. I said “Don’t Talk To Underlings”. My meaning (which I did explain) was to [...]
Help For Philippine Wannabes and a Rant: Here’s a pretty typical sort of comment I get on a frequent basis. The gentleman asks some good questions and I am going to answer them in some detail, bit I would like to address the last part of his comment first … especially for those who may [...]
Popular and “Evergreen” Articles
By Atty. Rita Linda V. Jimeno The story of Rosanne in my column last week triggered numerous reactions from readers that merit discussion. As a jump-off point, we shall encapsulate Rosanne’s case. Her Filipino husband who used to be loving and conscious of his familial obligations, abandoned all his duties toward her and their children [...]
Is Your Child a Citizen? Hmm, strange title, Dave. A Citizen of what country? Ah, that’s the reason for this article. One might think that would be an easy answer, but I get many queries that show me that a lot of parents, of every different nationality, don’t really know just what the citizenship of [...]
OK. all I see is comments coming in here from people who “want jobs”. It seems no one has enough initiative to actually read the article, just splashing out their plea to anyone dumb enough to have a website. If you want to find a job in the Philippines, here’s one place to look: http://philfaqs.com/philippine-jobs-for-foreigners/ [...]
Foreigner Jobs. This is always one of my popular and searched for items … Jobs for Americans in the Philippines. Personally, if I had to have a J*O*B I’d rather have one in the US, but who am I to tell others what to do. Jobs for foreigners in the Philippines have traditionally been hard [...]
Philippine Marriage Questions Recently I received another comment with questions on this surprisingly common issue. Is there anyway a Filipino,who was legally married as recognized by the Philippines, be considered legally “un-married” by the Philippines and.or the US government. (As always, remember that these are my layman’s opinions, offered for information and discussion purposes. They [...]
Indeed, you heard right. This is the “saving grace” for many foreigner/Filipino couples who want to buy property together here in the Philippines and have an assurance that the “foreigner ‘ half of the couple can continue living in the couple’s property. Notice something important that I didn’t say above, though. I didn’t call it [...]
Where Are The Best Places to Live in the Philippines? I posted awhile back on this subject, What Are Your Best Places Philippines?, and also put up a dedicated best places in the Philippines map page with every suggestion I’ve received regarding the best places to like in the Philippines. So few suggestions, though. Why [...]
PhilFAQS Random Reads
Here in the Philippines things are really starting to warm up for the upcoming elections in 2010. Unlike the US where anyone can campaign any time s/he wants, the Philippines has legally proscribed ‘election seasons’, and we aren’t yet in the 2010 season. That doses not, though, stop a lot of hopefuls from filling the airwaves with what are euphemistically called “infomercials”. That serves two purposes. It gets the faces and names of those why buy the commercials … [Read More...]
Here's some extracts from a comment I made recently on my friend Bob Martin's Living in the Philippines blog. It got me thinking ... mainly about how few of the things I intended doing after I made the move to the Philippines I have gotten started on doing. @ –> all thinking in terms of self sufficiency … very few Americans think along these lines … it is certainly more doable in the Philippines than in the US, both by climate and reduced government meddling. Sadly … [Read More...]
One of the best things about blogging is the people I meet. A while back, Mindanao Bob pointed me at a fellow blogger who is on the other side of the world, almost literally, but has so much in common with us folks who live here in the Philippines that it really drives home the point that the world today is very, very small indeed. The fellow I am talking about goes by the name MikeCJ (real name Mike Cliff-Jones) and he lives on a small island in the Atlantic called Lanzarote. Yep, I … [Read More...]
How much does this sound like your reasoning behind moving to the Philippines … or wanting to? … In life many of us chase the seemingly elusive ‘prize’ of happiness and seek it out in all sorts of places. We look for it in a marriage, we wonder if it can be provided by children, we go after it when we change our jobs and perhaps believe it will come to us when we retire…but the truth of the matter is, happiness is a state of mind and it comes from within. The naked truth is, a … [Read More...]
Finding a Philippine Job
I’m very familiar with questions and comments here on PhilFAQS about starting a business in the Philippines. The majority of the questions come from foreigners wanting to start a business here. But I seldom get queries like the one I am going to share here, which involves “working from home” or ‘working remotely” out of [...]
Here’s a comment that came in earlier today. Rather than answer the reader directly in the “comments” section where only a few people are likely to read it, i felt the question is of broad enough interest that I’d put it our here in the main “Articles” section for all to read. Hi Philly, my [...]
Philippine Job Insanity. Are You Insane? I guess it falls under the general heading of that famous saying attributed to Albert Einstein … the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. I have tried to make it clear here on PhilFAQS, where I try to tell [...]
How’s my grammar there, guys and gals? Not so good? Perhaps not, but nobody reading this has likely earned as much from those words than the fellow who got paid to say them … Gunnery Sergeant Tom Highway (Clint Eastwood) in the movie “Heartbreak Ridge”. Do you think anyone in Gunny Highway’s platoon of malcontents [...]
I’ve decided to write a few articles, more or less in order, to try to help those of you who come here, day after day, looking for that magically prize, “Jobs for Americans in the Philippines”. First of all, in the interest of fair and objective reporting, I need to warn you that “Jobs For [...]